Skip to main content

OGR: Essay Plan


Comments

  1. Hey Katerin - so I think you need to re-calibrate your enquiry: I'd argue that Edward Scissorhands is a 'critique' of the American Dream. If the American Dream is an ideological narrative about citizenship and individuality and the guarantee of success through hard work etc. then Edward's story represents a 'failure of the American Dream'. I think it's this idea of how the 'American Dream' rejects or fails Edward is at the heart of the film and so I'd suggest it should be at the heart of your analysis.

    Looking at your intended analysis I'm not 100% sure you're as familiar with the ideas encompassed by 'the American Dream' as perhaps you could and should be and like I said, this is important because Edward Scissorhands seeks to attack it. You rightfully establish that the set design (suburbia) is a metaphor for the American Dream... but how so? What do you understand by that? You might remember I talked about Levittown as part of my preface to the film screening? Just do a quick search twinning 'Levittown' with 'the American Dream' and I think you'll find the resulting research clarifying.

    So - if you asked this question instead: 'In what ways does Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands critique the American Dream?' I think you'll sharpen your focus and organise your research a little more. Really importantly, you need to show a really clear, really well-supported definition(s) of 'The American Dream' and its core characteristics and values, so you can then take those core characteristics and align them with the bits of the film you want to discuss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog